Nonimmigrant Visas

Nonimmigrant visas are a way for nationals of another country to visit the United States.  These visas are temporary, and those seeking a nonimmigrant visa must prove that they do not intend to immigrate to the U.S. permanently.  The visas available to travelers are varied and complex and oftentimes people seeking admittance to the United States do so with the help of an immigration attorney.  Under the North American Free Trade Agreement, Canadians are the only nonimmigrants allowed into the United States without a visa, and can enter the U.S. at a port of entry with permission from a Custom and Border Protection agent.  Canadians can stay up for a period of 180 days continuously before having to exit the United States (Note: there are tax implications for Canadians who visit the U.S. for more than 180 days in a year).

The nonimmigrant viva progress involves the Department of Labor, the Department of Homeland Security (which has authorized Customs and Border Protection, United States Citizenship and ImmigrationServices, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement to handle immigration issues), and the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System.  Although complex, website will aid you in working through the various types of visas as well as problems and solutions to issues in the complex immigration world.

Photo Credit: J. Aaron Farr

About Admin

Information you'd like to display in the "about the author" section goes here. :)

Speak Your Mind